betty/seuss: (noun) a combination of the 1920's cultural icon, all-American baker Betty Crocker and the American writer-poet-cartoonist, known for his children's books and creative genius, Dr. Seuss!

9.14.2011

how embawassing.... :)

i took my very VERY first oil painting class winter semester of 2011, so about... NINE months ago! i had never touched a canvas or a brush covered in that glorious oil in my life and that first day of class my teacher assigned us to go home and paint a still life of more than two different pieces of fruit! so i bought a canvas, went home, laid my materials out on the table and went to "work"... if you can call it that! haha i started shoveling paint across this canvas like a rhino-ballerina... JUST WRONG! my colors were off, i couldn't seem to nail down a shadow and there was ZERO texture on this thing! it was SO frustrating, because i could see in my head what i wanted to do, but my hands weren't on my team! but i gave it my best shot and turned in my heart-felt-TRY of a painting. later in the semester I learned the proper techniques and my hands and i became friends again. :) i feel that improvement has DEFINITELY happened and i have MUCH more work to do, but i can't bring myself to paint over that first fruit basket canvas. it continues to inspire me by showing me where i began and pushing me to become better and to see with a painter's eyes. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane- You are an AMAZING ARTIST!! I am SO impressed with all of your artwork. Keep it up girl and you will be the next Betty-Seuss!!! The only thing I would suggest is that you share your talents with others. You have THE Gift of Art! I would be happy to buy some of your artwork, especially before you make it bigtime and it gets even more expensive!:) Aunt Missy

jane kennedy winspear said...

AUNT MISSY :) thanks so much for being interested in what i do! it's nice to have the support of my family in such a competitive field! i get shy about sharing my work, but i feel more confident about it knowing that there's SOMEONE out there that likes it! even if it is my aunt who is required to like my stuff regardless of how it looks :) hahaha LOVE and miss you!