betty/seuss: (noun) a combination of the 1920's cultural icon, all-American baker Betty Crocker and the American writer-poet-cartoonist, known for his children's books and creative genius, Dr. Seuss!

9.16.2011

da vinci- what a BRILLIANT man

my digital illustration teacher at BYU-Idaho, brother Dan Burr, assigned my class to do a master copy. we were to find a master artist's sketch and try to recreate it using Photoshop and a Wacom tablet! can you say INTIMIDATING?! i instantly broke out into a cold sweat at the thought of butchering an incredible artist's work as i take my first shot at using a digital tablet! i searched online and decided that i would take on a Da Vinci sketch. He is one of the most brilliant artists that has ever lived in my opinion and i have a go-big-or-go-home mentality so i figured i'd just dive RIGHT in! it was a challenge, needless to say. a "bamboo" pen doesn't quite  have the same feel as a brush in my hand, but it'll get there! here's the example of Da Vinci's original BEAUTIFUL sketch...


and here's MY attempt at recreating this little piece of genius...


this is the beginning of a very eye-opening semester as i experience this world of digital art! it'll come, it'll click, it's just going to take some practice! AS YOU CAN SEE! :) 
let the good times roll!

4 comments:

Courtney Beatty said...

jane i think you are amazing! I didn't know that you were an artist!

Julia Hess said...

JANE!!!! You are amazing...I had no idea you were this brilliant. I'm positive you'll just continue to AMAZE me. I love you. so proud of you.

kelsie rae. said...

jane!!! you're AMAZING! i'm taking head drawing this semester and have a new respect for all the 2D artists out there! i'm going to follow your blog now and become your newest stalker :)

jane kennedy winspear said...

HAAA thanks friends! it's nice to hear some positive reinforcement after all the long hard LASHING critiques from my art professors! you're confidence boosters :) i really appreciate your kind words!